2011年10月6日 星期四

Firefox, what's wrong with you?

Recently the Mozilla foundation updated my beloved Firefox very often.
They moved their step to FF4 at the beginning of this Year, then 5, 6 now it's 7.

I used to use Firefox to deal with those HEAVY stuff, such as my three GMail accounts, famous Firebug for web development and some fantastic plugins to scraping web contents.

But now, my happy experience was gone.

0. Gmail Manager was malfunctioned. 
I used GMail Manager to manage my GMail accounts, but now due to Google's new gmail policy(shame on Google for this), I cannot get any benefit by using firefox to manage multiple GMails, I hate to sign-in 3 times with 3 different browsers when I start my PC, I know it's for security, but it's still annoying and I do know this is not FF's fault, but  this do reduces the score that FF get when comparing with Chrome. If there's any new plugins that can deal with this, please let me know.

1. New logic behind Firefox's Certification Key management is sucks!
It started to fuck me since FF4, have you ever encountered a "Secure Connection Failed" which Error code is: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial? After read the root cause from this link:
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Certificate%20contains%20the%20same%20serial%20number%20as%20another%20certificate
and searched any possible solutions to workaround this, I must say this is a BIG WRONG DECISION that Mozilla made for Firefox after Ver 4. They intended to forbid any user to access the web in https through some old router that doesn't generate the security certificates well. I know they gave this restriction to prevent some kind of attack, but so what? does my parent who are already 60 years old working in a big company should buy in this? And compare to other browser: IE has no such problem, Chrome has no such problem, Safari has no such problem, if you are an IT guy and people put this on table then what will you do?
OF COURSE you won't do anything to that old but expansive router, because it's very possible that there's no one knows how to deal with it, the things that you will do is to write a batch file and put it into schedule which will REPLACE every Firefox to Chrome!


So now, I'll have to tell my big old company customers:
FORGET FIREFOX, because your router is too old to generate a proper certification so Mozilla foundation  think you are not deserved to use their product! Imagine what they will ask you to do next.


Backward compatibility is not just compromise, it's an important feature!


In this case, what Firefox can do is simply provide a boolean config that MIS can turn on or off before they trigger the installation to every desktop, or, they can prompt this error with a special option to let user bypass the check after reading the possible hazard  description.

But the only workaround that Firefox left you by now is to delete the cert8.db which stored every exception that you have while doing the certification,(Yeah, you can delete THAT certification if you know which one, but do you really know how many Cert was screwed up in your Firefox?) and you need to turn off Firefox before doing this.

2 則留言:

  1. 我英文很爛,怕有誤會... 不過如果你只是不想為了三個帳號在三個不同的 browser login 三次,那之前寫的這個連結:
    http://pt2club.blogspot.com/2011/09/gmail.html
    可能有點幫助......

    萬一我誤會意思的話,那就砍了這篇吧 [遮臉]

    回覆刪除
  2. Ha ha~ sorry that I have to response in English because I'm not in my personal laptop right now.

    The problem that I was encountered is the exception just as what you said: 3 gmail accounts belongs to 3 different domains.

    Gmail Manager can handle them pretty good before but not anymore... so sad.

    回覆刪除